| Documents
|
 | Obituary: Stephen Douglas Million 1938
|
 | History of Winslow church History of the church shown in this picture, built by Riley and Fred Grow. "...the history of the church goes back to two pioneer settlers in the area, Riley Hoskinson who arrived on the island sometime in the 1870s from Kansas, and Ambrose Grow, who cam in 1881. Both settled on adjoining sections of land. In 1882, the men organized the schoolhouse services. From Dec 31, 1882 until April 8, 1883 when members voted to change the name to the Eagle Harbor Congregational Church, the congregation was known as the Eagle Harbor Church association. The Congregational denomination was decided upon because members of the community belonged to several different faiths....On Dec. 31, 1888, The Rev John F. Damon preached in the Eagle Harbor School House, known as District 6, County of Kitsap, Washington Territory. Following the sermon, he read the articles of creed and church policy. The members present agreed to both as future regulations of the church organization, and signed them, thus incorporating the church. Charter members were M. Riley Hoskinson, Martha Hoskinson (the Grow family, Mary Taylor, Cecelia Fryberg, Harvey Thompson, Cora N. Fich) and Edith G. Garrison. After the incorporation, A. D. Grow donated land for the parsonage and church. (The parsonage was completed prior to 1891 with lumber from the Port Blakely Mill.) ...After completion of the parsonage, Ambrose Grow and Riley Hoskinson decide to canvas the community to asee what could be done to secure a permanent church....The planned for a church costing $1050. Again Port Blakely Mill Co. aided the congregation by supplying the lumber....It was completed and dedicated in 1896....In 1924, the first addition was added....In 1960 it was moved back from the road and turned one quarter....(In 1966 a second larger addition was completed.)" |
 | Obituary: Ralph Anderson 1979 "Ralph W. Anderson, 91, believed to have been the oldest native of Bainbridge Island died last night at the home he had occupied since his birth on Dec. 26, 1887. Anderson left his home on Fletcher Bay Road only for a trip to Alaska, where he was a cook. After his return, he married the former Kate Olsen, who died in 1961. Anderson's father, Andrew, a Norwegian (he was actually from Sweden), came to the Bainbridge Island area and began an 80-acre homestead after jumping ship at Port Madison in 1873....He is survived by three sons, Gene of Bainbridge Island, Gerald of Lynwood and Richard of Port Angeles; seven grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren." |
 | Historical Bainbridge "...Winslow started on land known as the Hoskinson Section when Ambrose Grow obtained, property off Stuart Hoskinson. His father, Riley, was the second settler on Eagle Harbor, on the shores of which Winslow was founded. Today, a road from the "Old Dock" to Commodore Bainbridge School divides the properties of Hoskinson and Grow. It was Carrie Grow who became Winslow's first school teacher (at $35 per month) when School District 6 was formed on the north side of Eagle Harbor in August, 1881, The district was approved by the county superintendent after a petition by R. M Hoskinson resulted from complaints it was too far to row students across the bay to the Port Blakely School. After setting up a school, growth of the community was slow and steady, with the Congregational Church being built in 1896 (at a cost of $1,050), and seven years later getting its name...." |
 | Death claims Kitsap pioneer 1951 "A pioneer Bainbridge island lumberman and realtor who wrote colorful chapter in Kitsap county's history, John B. Wood, 89, died Monday in Winchester, Ohio. Arriving on Bainbridge in 1882, Wood went to work in a lumber camp. Eventually he became part-owner of Eagle Harbor Transportation Co. which operated the steamers Florence K and Bainbridge from Eagle Harbor to Seattle. When the county seat was moved from Port Madison to Sidney, which is now Port Orchard, Wood drove a yoke of oxen to move the county safe containing official records. In another historical move, he bought an old mansion on the present downtown site of the Seattle public library and moved it across the street where it became the Wood hotel. Wood lived in Seattle in recent years until three years ago when he moved to Ohio. Survivors in this vicinity include a stepson, H. C. Peabody of Rockaway Beach on Bainbridge island, and a niece, Mrs. Clara Smith of Seattle." |
 | Freak mishap proves fatal 1938 "Otto Wood Dies When Being Speeded to Hospital Here Crushed under a load of logs he was hauling in the vicinity of Tahuya, Otto Wood, about 35 (actually 49 years old), truck-driver for the Wood Logging Co., died in an ambulance at noon today as he was being rushed to Olympic hospital. Wood, whose father owns the logging operation, was found on a logging road by a fellow worker. According to a reconstruction of the accident, it appeared that the load of logs on the truck had become loosened while the machine was being let down a hill. The logs had swept the cab off the truck, shoving Wood ahead of it. He was found about 15 feet in front of the wrecked truck, his body crushed in the mishap. He was rushed as far as Belfair in a private car, which broke down at the Mason county community. The American Legion ambulance. of Bremerton was summoned and brought the injured man to Bremerton. He died at 12:20, just before the ambulance, driven by Stanley Pearce, reached Olympic hospital." |
 | Divorce: Hector C. Peabody and Leona M. Spencer 1950 "Decrees of divorce were signed in Kitsap county superior court at Port Orchard recently for: ... Leona M. Spencer Peabody and Hector T. (should read C)..." Note divorce filling occurred on same day that a marriage license was issued for Hector to wed Ethel Donovan." |
 | Marriage license asked: Hector C Peabody and Ethel Donovan 1950 "MARRIAGE LICENSE ASKED Hector C. Peabody of Belfair and Ethel Donovan of Creosote have applied in Seattle for a marriage license, it was learned here today." Note that that Hector's previous wife Leona M Spencer filed for divorce from Hector on this same date. |